If you are interested in adopting a cat or dog from Homes for Pets the following information describes how our adoption process works.
- You can view our adoptable cats and dogs under the “Pets Who Need A Home” tab.
- If you find a cat or dog that you are interested in adopting, please fill out an adoption application under the “Adoption” tab. Please note: filling out the application is not binding to you in any way. It is very important that you answer every question prior to submitting your application; not fully completing your application could hold up the process.
- Once we have received your application, you should receive a notification email within 48 hours. We will forward your information to the pets foster parent and they will call or email you. At this time, any questions you have about the the cat or dog you are interested in can be directed to the foster parent.
- The next two steps are a meet and greet between the foster pet and your family, and for dogs, a home visit. The foster parent will set up a convenient time for you to meet the foster pet you are interested in adopting; this would be at a location best suited for both parties. Adopting a cat does not require a home visit, however, you will need to bring a carrier with you for them to go home in. When adopting a dog, the home visit is a casual meeting to answer any additional questions you may have, and to make sure the adoption would be a good fit for the foster pet and your family. Unless there are multiple applications that have been received, the home visit is the final step prior to adoption and filling out the adoption contract.
- Prior to adoption all cats and dogs will be microchipped, spayed or neutered, fully up-to-date on vaccinations, dewormed, and to the best of our knowledge, without any current medical conditions. All dogs (if old enough) will be Heart worm tested, and treated when necessary. Cats will be tested for Feline Leukemia/FIV. Please note: puppies and kittens may require their booster shot post adoption which is covered in the fee.
- The adoption fee for dogs is $165.00 (purebred or special cases may have a higher fee). The adoption fee for kittens (up to 1 year old) is $75.00 or $120.00 for a bonded pair. For cats over 1 year old the adoption fee is $50.00 or $80.00 for a bonded pair (purebred or special cases for cats or kittens may have a higher fee). We at Homes for Pets thank you for wanting to adopt a rescue animal!